The Honeywell Employee’s Club is I believe to the political. The store brings in almost $10 thousand weekly in sale but management is never happy with the progress the store is making. There are also employees who feel the store does not fit their needs and files a complaint to human resources, which puts the damper on the success of the Employee’s Club. The organization as a whole is outstanding but there is a lot of red sticky tape and tip toeing which needs to be done to get the job done. I believe there are too many people running the Honeywell Employee’s Club; i.e., accountants, managers, committees and associates all have a say which should go on. As an old saying goes “there are too many chiefs not enough Indians”. The matrix of leadership should be reduced to few personnel to provide efficient productivity and less hassle.
Although the Honeywell Employee’s Club has an interdisciplinary outline, personal bias hurts the program as a whole. Associates I believe are not open to change and are prejudice to new ideas or working in an interdisciplinary way. I order to improve this process I would bring in new associates and take all new ideas and thoughts into consideration. While the procedures will be followed as mandated, my main goal would be to add color to a black and white practice.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Heath Ellison here and I completely understand what you mean you say there are too many people involved in management at your job. I have seen this in many jobs before and it can become very frustrating. I recommend you talk with your direct supervisor about it and they can hopefully help address the problem. Many time times the people in management have the same frustrations but do not realize that their employees notice it. I have never heard the expression “too many chiefs not enough Indians” but the expression “too many chefs in the kitchen” is one I think fits this situation very well. In addition, it seems as though all of the people in management are all looking at their employee’s club with different perspectives and needs. If they could all come to the table and communicate, sales associates included, it would probably be an effective dialogue.
ReplyDeleteHello Josie, it’s Rachel DePietro it seems that you are enjoying your time with Honeywell and finding strong ways to move forward with it. It seems that there are some stressful times going on with their company. It is hard to work properly when there is so much tip toeing as you say, when all you can do is walk on eggshells the ability to work productively is hard and uncomfortable. I feel that there can be creative way to work on communication within the company and I think that is where something’s are lacking in the company. When people work in an environment where they feel apprehensive and afraid it makes it first and foremost a situation that people don’t want to be in. Next when everyone is afraid to mess up in fear of getting in trouble for anything, no one is willing to share their opinions and ideas, making it near impossible to get any productive work done. The first step is going to be breaking down barriers and creating a proficient and safe work environment is building a strong sense of community. Opening up communications lines are going to be the best way to achieve goals and break through some of those problem areas. I wish you the best of luck and I hope things continue to grow and to be something you continue to enjoy. Good luck in these final weeks.
ReplyDeleteI think that everyone can relate to your post. We have all been working in a variety of different companies, and I am sure that we have all dealt with similar experiences. People need to be open to communication and change. I think that what Rachel said about how you have to open the lines of communication is a great place to start. I have come across a lot of people that are set in their ways, but yet when they make even the smallest change, most of the time it is for the better. Sometimes in a big company, like where you are interning, it can be really hard to get your ideas heard. I agree with you when you said that there are "too many chiefs and not enough Indians" because when you have too many leadership personalities, it is like asking for a disaster. No one will be willing to take a step back and listen to what other people have to say, and then the company may hurt in the end because of it.
ReplyDeleteTyler Wolf